This spinach toast is a good source of iron, and if you are pregnant, this is a great alternative to grilled cheese. The recipe is for 1-2 servings, depending on whether you feel like eating 1 or 2 toasts. It’s a healthy food that provides calcium, folate and iodine from the whole grain bread, iodine from the cheeses and iron from the spinach. It’s a good source for your daily intake of these important nutrients during your pregnancy. It’s a vegetarian recipe and it can be heated in the microwave if you have made it a day in advance – or want to eat it as a leftover.
- 4 slices whole grain bread
- 2 tsp oil
- 5 dl shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tsp canola oil
- 2 tbsp cream cheese, light
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 bag fresh spinach, 200 g
- 1 pinch salt
- Begin with the spinach cream. Heat oil in a frying pan on medium-high heat and cook the garlic for 30 seconds.
- Add spinach and cook until all liquid has evaporated.
- Stir in cream cheese and salt.
- Wipe off the frying pan, or use another frying pan. Heat 1 tsp oil on medium heat.
- Place two slices of bread in the frying pan. Sprinkle with half the cheese, then spread the spinach cream on both slices. Top with the remaining cheese. Then place the other two slices of bread on top.
- Cook for 3-4 minutes until the bottom slices turn golden brown. Turn the whole toast over and add the rest of the oil to the frying pan.
- Cook for 3-4 minutes until this side also has turned golden brown.
- The toast is best eaten warm, but tastes good cold as well. Can be reheated in the microwave if you make it in advance.
Recipe by Evelina Söderholm